THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
We are once again getting in the festive spirit, the advent calendar (Star Wars this year) is hanging and the tree is up. For a bit of added festive fun we are relaunching last year’s Santa rally competition…
The Santa rally is a rise in stock prices towards the end of December. In the investment world there are sometimes anomalies or phenomena that appear to influence market returns. There are many possible explanations as to what causes the rally, including investors trading Christmas bonuses and being more optimistic around Christmas or institutional investors ‘window dressing’ their holdings.
As with the man in the red suit there are many who disbelieve a Santa rally exists. Whether you believe or not, the past thirty years has seen the FTSE 100 rise in December 87% of the time, meaning that 13% of the time (including last year) the FTSE 100 has fallen in December. Before last year, the previous 11 Decembers had been positive, and we have never seen consecutive negative Decembers.
To be in with a chance of winning a £100 Marks & Spencer voucher, all you need to do is submit your guess for what you think the final FTSE 100 level of the year will be. You can have as many goes as you like up until 5pm on Friday 11 December, with the latest guess before the deadline being considered your official entry.
The person with the closest guess will be deemed the winner. A fantastic winning guess of 6565 compared to an actual close of 6566 was enough to win the prize last year so the pressure is on!
To enter, submit your guess here. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions
- The competition is open to UK residents with a UK postal address only.
- Entrants must be aged 18 or above.
- To enter, submit your answer and details via the form on this page.
- Multiple entries can be made but the entry closest to the cut off time will be used as official entry.
- FTSE guess must be to 2 decimal places.
- The competition is running from 1st December – 11th December (5pm deadline).
- The winner will be announced on the afternoon of January 4th.
- Postage of vouchers will be included to a UK mainland address.
- The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and there is no cash alternative.
- Equilibrium may use your email address for further communication, but it will not be passed on to third parties.
- Entry into the competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.